Scholarship & Tuition Assistance
Rising Young Artist
Scholarship & Tuition Assistance Program
Thank you for your interest in Appel Farm’s Rising Young Artist Scholarship & Tuition Assistance Program. For over 50 years, Appel Farm Arts Camp has brought together a diverse community of young people to learn, grow and explore the arts. Campers, ages 9-17, sleep away for four weeks of their summer in a nurturing creative environment learning about theater, music, dance, visual arts, photography, video, creative writing and more. Young people, who would not otherwise have the resources to participate, are chosen for this opportunity through our Scholarship & Tuition Assistance Program.
If your child is interested in attending Appel Farm through our Scholarship and Tuition Assistance Program, please carefully read the following instructions and complete the steps below.
How to Apply
- Before applying, please read all of the frequently asked questions below to ensure your child is eligible.
- Please complete the appropriate application in blue or black ink and paperclip together. Do not staple the pages together.
- The parent(s)/legal guardian(s), who is financially responsible for the child, should complete pages 1 and 2 of the attached application and attach a signed copy of the most recent IRS tax return. (if you have not filed 2013 taxes, please send your 1040 return from 2012.) If you do not file taxes, please include documentation of your income (ex. social security or food stamp allocations, child support payments, etc.)
- The camper should complete pages 3 and 4 of the application on his/her own.
- A teacher, who is familiar with the child, should complete page 5.
- Mail the original completed application, along with the IRS tax return to the attention of Cori Solomon, Camp Director. Please submit only once. Faxed or e-mailed copies are highly discouraged.
Mail: Appel Farm Arts Camp, P.O. Box 888, Elmer, NJ 08318
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 856-358-6513
Full-Scholarship Applications - Deadline: March 31st, 2014
Download the FULL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION HERE.
Tuition Assistance Applications - Deadline: 1st day of each month
Download the TUITION ASSISTANCE APPLICATION HERE.
Applicants applying for tuition assistance can apply at any time. Partial-tuition awards will be determined monthly. Full-scholarship awards are determined in May, so applicants are notified via e-mail the first week of June.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please send all materials together including the 1040 tax forms and teacher recommendation page. Please mail in your original application as opposed to faxing or e-mailing, even if you are mailing the application near the March 31st deadline. You do not need to overnight mail your applications! Applications will be accepted after March 31st.
All applicants will be notified of their awards through E-MAIL.
If you have any questions, please contact Cori Solomon, Camp Director, at email@example.com or 856-358-2472 ext. 109.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my child eligible to apply?
All Applicants must:
- be age 7-17.
- be able to attend camp for an entire 4 week session: June 22-July 18, 2014 OR July 20-August 15, 2014 and be accepted for attendance. Tuition assistance is not offered for our two-week sessions. Campers are not permitted to arrive late or leave early.
- be physically and mentally capable of participating fully in the camp program. Due to the residential nature of the camp program, parents of campers with special physical, mental or dietary needs should contact Cori, Camp Director, prior to applying, to ensure the suitability of the program for his/her child.
- demonstrate financial need based on the application and most recent IRS tax return.
Campers will be accepted without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait.
Full Scholarship Qualifications
Your child must meet ONE of the criteria below, in order to apply for a full scholarship to Appel Farm.
- Our family has great financial need and my child is interested in the arts.
- My child resides in southern NJ.
- My child resides in Newark, NJ and attends a traditional public school in Newark.
- My child resides in Camden, NJ or Phildelphia, PA
- My child attends a public school in NJ, NY, or PA and qualifies for free or reduced lunch.
- My child studies classic instrumental music and is interested in studying this at camp.
If my child qualifies, will he/she definitely receive an award?
Not all eligible applicants will receive an award as spaces are limited for full-scholarships. The award selection process is very competitive for full-scholarships, so many applicants do not recieve awards each year. Awards vary every year based on grant funding, so many of our scholarships are specific for campers from certain regions or studying particular areas of the arts. Partial tuition assistance ranges from 10%-80% of the tuition, and is based on financial need, available funds, and previous assistance awarded to the family. Families applying for multiple years, should expect their financial contribution to increase, unless special circumstances make that impossible.
How are applicants chosen?
Scholarships and Tuition Assistance awards are based on: 1) financial need, 2) potential for growth and development through the Appel Farm experience in comparison to the opportunities afforded the child at home, 3) interest and involvement in one or more of the arts offered as part of the Appel Farm program, 4) background and experience which will broaden the cultural diversity of Appel Farm, 5) space availability and previous attendance at Appel Farm. Priority is given to applicants who are new to Appel Farm or are returning for their second summer. Applicants who have attended Appel Farm for three years or more with a full-scholarship are unlikely to receive a full-scholarship award again.
Who decides if my child is chosen for an award?
Recommendations for awards are made by a committee that consists of the Camp Directors and members of the Board of Trustees. The committee bases its recommendations on the qualifications and criteria listed above.
When will I find out if my child is chosen for an award?
Full Scholarship Applications are due March 31st, 2014. You will be notified by June 1st, 2013, via e-mail, if your child has been chosen for an award or not. Due to grant funding that arrives as late as mid-June, many applicants will be placed on a waiting list. When notice of the funding is received, your family will be notified if your child is chosen from the waiting list. Notifications will be sent primarily through e-mails, so please provide an accurate e-mail and mailing address.
Tuition Assistance Applicants will be notified by e-mail, 30 days after you apply, if your child has been chosen for an award or not. If there is limited space or funding, your child may be placed on a waiting list. Notifications will be sent through e-mail, so please provide an accurate e-mail and mailing address.
If chosen for an award, will I have to pay any additional money?
If chosen for any type of award, we will ask you to pay a $100 deposit to secure your child's space and commit to the program. If your child is awarded a full scholarship, you are ultimately only responsible for your child's canteen money. Canteen money is spending money for trips and incidentals like sunscreen and stamps. Your $100 deposit will be applied to your child’s canteen account prior to the first day of camp. Any money not spent will be refunded at the end of the session. If your child accepts the award, but fails to attend Appel Farm that summer, then the canteen deposit is non-refundable. If your family cannot afford the deposit, please get in touch with us so we can make an alternate arrangement.
If you received a tuition-assistance award, the $100 deposit is applied toward your tuition balance. The remainder of the tuition is due by the first day of your child's camp session. You will also be responsible for your child’s canteen money, which we recommend depositing $100 into their account for spending money on trips and for incidentals.
Is transportation provided to and from camp?
Bus Transportation from West Orange and New York City to and from camp is provided free of charge for scholarship and tuition assistance award recipients. We will also pick up any child, free of charge, from the Philadelphia bus and train stations and airport. A transportation form will be sent to you, once we’ve registered your child, so you can let us know if your child will need transportation.
If I’m applying for partial tuition assistance, should I go ahead and register my child to reserve a space?
Do not register your child for camp unless you plan on sending him/her regardless of whether or not you receive assistance. Space is set aside for scholarship and tuition assistance applicants, so if you receive an award there will be a space for your child.