Play a character, learn essential acting skills, or explore the world of musical theatre!
- Train in acting and performing theatre
- Showcase your skills in a meaningful role – no auditions!
- Try out a range of themes, including musicals, comedies, dramas, classics, and world premieres!
- Actively engage skills in musical theatre, improv, solo performance, physical and psychological character development, and directing with studio sessions!
Our approach to theatre at Appel Farm is collaborative and non-competitive. We believe that everyone has the potential to be an amazing, unique performer. We believe that people do their best work in a supportive environment where they’re free to try new things, take risks, and make mistakes. We offer lots of opportunities for people of all experience levels.
Appel Farm boasts 12 stage performances per summer in the 300-seat Clare Rostan Appel Theatre, outdoors on Grove Stage or in the Pavilion, or even on the Bluestone Stage! Campers who major in Theatre Performance are double majors, spending the whole morning in skills-based studios and rehearsals for their plays. Every camper gets a meaningful role, no matter the play. As always, there are NO AUDITIONS!
- Acting Studio and Play Rehearsal
Minors are held in the afternoons. These classes are a great opportunity to do theatre in a more relaxed, experimental environment. Most of our minors change each summer to reflect the unique talents and abilities of our current staff. But some minors (like musical theatre & improv) are so popular, we bring them back every year!
Examples of Past Minor Classes
- Stage Combat, Acting for the Camera, Directing, Physical Comedy, Radio Theatre, Solo Performance, Spy School, Dance Theatre, Playing The Hunger Games, Playing Adventure Time, and Playing Divergent
The Theatre Department runs the Actors Studio during evening free time from 9:00-10:00 PM. Sessions are designed for Acting Majors AND for anyone interested in exchanging ideas and performing techniques, discussing character development and approaches to acting and for delving into the actor’s world in greater depth.