Pick up an instrument, warm up your vocal chords, and prepare to join the musical storm — music is always happening at Appel Farm!
- Private lessons, studio classes, ensembles and varied performance opportunities
- Programs and ensembles in Classical, Jazz, Rock, Pop Music and more
- Training in Composition, Conducting, Music Appreciation, History, Theory and Musicianship
- A variety of indoor and outdoor performance and private practice facilities
Based on families of instruments and vocals, campers will study music theory and sight reading, take part in critiques, and learn to think and speak critically about music. They will develop an understanding of music with regard to historical, social, and cultural influences, traditions, and contributions of their particular area of study. They will also get one half-hour private lesson each week, and they will spend most of their time developing and practicing their technique, rehearsing, and performing as an ensemble. If your instrument is not listed, please call us!
Major I Classes
- String Ensemble (violin, viola, cello)
- Wind & Woodwind Ensemble (flute, clarinet, saxophone, oboe)
- Brass Ensemble (trumpet, trombone)
- Percussion Ensemble, Orchestra
- Jazz and Concert Bands
- Rock Band
Perfect for campers who want to play music in an ensemble. Campers and staff join together in these classes to learn, rehearse and perform music. Our ensembles play classical, jazz, rock, and pop music, as well as music from any genre in which a group of campers has an interest! Some summers we play anything from folk music to heavy metal to chamber music to klezmer!
Campers can also play any instrument in their ensembles! So, bring on the tubas!
Major II Classes
- Elmer Pops
- Rock Band
- Beginning Piano
- Vocal Studio
Minors change every summer to reflect the unique strengths of our current staff.
Examples of Past Minors
- Chamber Music
- Funk Band
- Beginning Guitar