Play a character, experience Shakespeare, create a costume, or learn what’s involved in designing and lighting a set!
- Train in acting and performing theater
- Showcase your skills in a meaningful role - no auditions!
- Try out a range of themes, including musicals, comedies, dramas, classics, and world premieres!
- Actively engage skills in musical theater, improv, solo performance, physical and psychological character development, and directing with studio sessions!
- Join the team of behind the scenes experts that make our 12 productions each summer come alive!
- Design lighting, sound, sets, props and costumes
- Operate equipment like lighting and sound boards
- Learn all aspects of stage management
Theater Performance Majors
Our approach to theater at Appel Farm is collaborative and non-competitive. We believe that everyone has the potential to be an amazing, unique performer. We believe that people do their best work in a supportive environment where they’re free to try new things, take risks, and make mistakes. We offer lots of opportunities for people of all experience levels.
Appel Farm boasts 12 stage performances per summer in our 300 seat main stage, Grove Stage, or the brand new Bluestone Stage! Campers who major in Theater Performance are double majors, spending the whole morning in skills-based studios and rehearsals for their plays. Every camper gets a meaningful role, no matter the play. As awlays, there are NO AUDITIONS!
- Acting Sudio and Play Rehearsal
Theater Performance Minors
Minors are held in the afternoons. These classes are a great opportunity to do theater in a more relaxed, experimental environment. Most of our minors change each summer, to reflect the unique talents and abilities of our current staff. But some minors (like musical theatre, improv, and spoken word poetry) are so popular, we bring them back every year!
Examples of Past Minor Classes
- Stage Combat, Playwriting, Intro Acting, Acting for the Camera, Directing, Physical Comedy, Radio Theatre, Solo Performance, Spy School, Dance Theatre, Playing The Hunger Games, Playing Adventure Time, and Playing Divergent
Technical Theater Majors
Campers in the Technical Theater program learn about theatrical design for sets, lighting, sound, props, and costumes. They become lighting designers and light board operators; sound designers and sound board operators; properties designers and properties crew; costume designers, seamstresses, tailors, and dressers; set designers and construction crew, stage managers and run crew.
Major I Classes
- Theatrical Design & Construction; Set, Lighting & Sound Design; Stage Crew & Construction
Major II Classes
- Stage Crew & Construction, Costume Design
Technical Theater Minors
The Technical Theater Department updates its class lists every summer to highlight the unique strengths of our expert instructors. These classes teach the basic essentials of behind the scenes work in a fun and supportive environment.
Examples of Past Minor Classes
- Stage Make Up, Scenic Painting, Costume Design, Prop Design, Set Contruction, Stage Effects, and Fashion Design
The Theater Department runs the Actors Studio during evening free time from 9:00-10:00 PM. Sessions are designed for Acting Majors AND for anyone interested in exchanging ideas and performing techniques, discussing character development and approaches to acting and for delving into the actor’s world in greater depth.